If you’d like to get 2017 off to a great start, consider not just what you might need to ‘do’, but who and how you need to ‘be’ to make it happen. Here are ten positive suggestions to make it a great year:
• Authentic: The greatest gift that we can give to the world is to simply be ourselves. We’re all unique beings, with our own sets of values, talents and gifts. When we’re comfortable being ourselves, we allow the people around us to feel the same way.
• Healthy: If your diet isn’t supporting you in feeling energetic and well, now’s a good time to look at it. Eating less fried foods and more raw foods, preferably organic whenever possible, is an easy way to get started. And of course, drink lots of water.
• Courageous/Brave/Adventurous: What would you do if you weren’t afraid? Challenge yourself to be courageous, brave and adventurous and shift out of your comfort zone on a regular basis.
• Happy: Happiness comes from within. Be responsible for your own happiness. Avoid negative people and situations as much as you can. Know what makes you happy and allocate time for yourself each week.
• Collaborative: We can feel overwhelmed when we do everything alone. Whether it’s work-related, a financial investment or just something fun - consider who you can team up with to make things happen.
• Calm/Peaceful: Make time regularly to relax and enjoy feelings of peace and tranquility. Book in holidays for later in the year, yoga or meditation classes for now to keep your stress levels under control.
• Present: Practice being 100% present, wherever you are, and giving your full attention to the task at hand or person you’re with.
• Contemplative: Regularly check-in with yourself by asking: Is what I’m doing today moving me toward or away from my goals? Ask your heart as well as your head.
• Optimistic: Have you wasted time worrying yourself sick about things that didn’t happen? Shift your thinking from focusing your attention on what you don’t want or you’re afraid of happening to what you do want and notice the difference in your experience.
• Intentional: Before you do anything, create an intention for how you’d like it to turn out. I’ve done this with both my goals, as well as my days, for years now, and am always pleasantly surprised at how easily, almost magically, things have unfolded as a result.
Other ways of being you might like to contemplate include being creative, generous, kind, loving, strong, fit, spiritual, imaginative, happy, friendly, indulgent, wise, helpful, powerful, respectful, focused, organised, grateful, positive, and open-minded.